Korean American Books

Summaries and reviews of fiction and nonfiction books by Korean American authors,
books about Korean Americans and Korea, and Korean literature in English translation,
including some academic works and a sampling on the Korean War

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Calligrapher’s Daughter, by Eugenia KIm

Author Anne Sibley O’Brien (The Legend of Hong Kil Dong: The Robin Hood of Korea) says:

“I’ve just spent much of the weekend and all of today immersed in The Calligrapher’s Daughter, and it completely captivated me! What a lovely, heartfelt, engrossing book. I feel as if Najin is someone I know and love, along with her loved ones--oh, her mother! They will linger in my mind and heart...

“What a pleasure to spend hours awash in the sensory details of traditional Korean life. I could see, feel, hear, taste and smell it all - the crisp linen, the paper doors, the ddok , the brush and ink, the ondol floors, the kimchis and soups, the tile roofs and madangs, the sewers and markets ...

“I love the way you illuminate the formality of Korean manners and customs, revealing the deep feeling contained in the restraint."
     “No one interested in Korean American readings should miss this book!”

Winner, 2009 Borders Original Voices Award
A Washington Post Best Book of 2009

1 comment:

Bybee said...

I've been circling this book every time I go in the bookstore..hope to get it and read it this year.

It's so great the way you've come roaring back after a long absence!